One of the questions we get asked most as Jewellers, is about the lifespan of our gold bonded range (The Urban Collection). Whilst the general consensus is that gold bonded jewellery will only last a few years, we have a few pro-tips to knock that theory on its head! Expand the lifespan of your gold bonded jewellery dramatically by reading our blog below.
WHAT IS GOLD BONDED JEWELLERY?
Gold Bonded jewellery is a good quality, affordable alternative to solid gold. It’s easily confused with gold plated jewellery; however, the key difference is that it’s bonded with solid gold, hence the name. In terms of the production of gold bonded jewellery, the layer of solid gold is bonded to a base metal (in our case, premium steel) using a specific amount of heat and pressure. The jewellery piece has to have solid gold content of at least 5% of its total weight, otherwise it’s not classed as gold bonded.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF GOLD BONDED JEWELLERY?
Solid gold jewellery has always been a substantial investment but, simply put, buying gold bonded jewellery over solid gold is definitely going to save you a lot of money. It’s also much more valuable than purchasing regular gold plated jewellery. Unlike gold plating, gold bonded jewellery is tarnish resistant and won’t turn your skin green (so long as you’re not allergic). Furthermore, if you care for your gold bonded jewellery properly, their is no reason it couldn’t last a lifetime!
HOW DO YOU CARE FOR YOUR GOLD BONDED JEWELLERY?
Caring for gold bonded jewellery is not too much different from caring for other types of jewellery. In fact, we would even suggest the same advice to all our customers who want to take care of solid gold jewellery. Follow the tips below and make your jewellery last!
- Don’t get your gold bonded jewellery wet! Avoid wearing your jewellery in the shower, ocean or pool. Salt water, chlorine and moisture will cause damage.
- Keep your gold bonded jewellery away from chemicals! Be mindful that perfume, hairspray, hand lotions, etc, may tarnish your jewellery due to the harsh chemicals they contain.
- Keep your gold bonded jewellery dry! Humidity is jewellery’s nemesis. Avoid from exposing your jewellery in poor weather conditions and keep it stored in a dark safe space at room temperature.
- Wear/Store your gold bonded jewellery individually! Rubbing your jewellery against other jewellery can cause it to lose its sheen. Store your jewellery individually in a soft air-tight bag and be wary of wearing multiple pieces.
- Don’t wear your gold bonded jewellery for exercise! As well as the blemishes that often appear on jewellery after a vigorous game of football, exposure to the salt from sweat can cause your pieces to become dull. Also, don’t forget to remove your jewellery before you go to bed.
- Keep your gold bonded jewellery clean! Keep away from dirt and gently wipe your jewellery with a jewellery polishing, non-scratch cloth to promote shine. Wash hands before putting on and removing and wipe down your jewellery with an antibacterial wipe after each use.
MAKE YOUR GOLD BONDED JEWELLERY LAST
Follow the tips above and make your gold bonded jewellery last, from chains and bracelets to rings and pendants! We hope this information helps you understand a little more about gold bonded jewellery and how to care for it.
WHERE CAN YOU GET GOLD BONDED JEWELLERY?
At JV Jewellers we provide the some of the finest gold bonded jewellery on the market! Take a look through our website to find the perfect piece for you. All our gold bonded jewellery is also sent out with some aftercare advice!